“I have got a brand new Samsung, but I can’t seem to transfer most of my data from my old iPhone 7. Can someone tell me how to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android without any data loss?”
This is a query recently posted by a concerned Android user on a popular website. If you have also got a new Android and are switching from iOS, then you might encounter a similar issue. While it is comparatively easier to move our photos, videos, contacts, etc. users find it hard to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android. This is because as of now there is no native solution to move WhatsApp from iPhone to Android. The good news is that you can still make this transition while retaining your WhatsApp data. Read on to find out how!
The Two Most Common Ways That Actually DON’T Work
Before we get into the details and learn how to transfer WhatsApp messages from iPhone to Android, it is important to resolve some misconceptions. A lot of people think that the native features (like Google Drive or iCloud backup) let us migrate our WhatsApp data. Needless to say, these are common misconceptions as the following solutions don’t actually work to do a cross-platform data transfer.
1.Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android using WhatsApp Backup
Even if you take a local backup on the device, you won’t be able to restore it back to your Android. You need to first extract your data and make sure it is compatible with your Android. If you have an iPhone, then you can just go to WhatsApp chat settings and take a backup on iCloud. This backup can only be restored to an iOS device afterward.
2.Move WhatsApp Chats from iPhone to Android via Google Drive
Another misconception that users have is regarding the WhatsApp backup stored on Google Drive. Some online guides suggest that we can copy the backup from iCloud, move it to Google Drive, and later restore it on Android. The technique does not work as the encoding for both Android and iOS is different. Even if you move the backup to Google Drive, your device won’t detect it.
The only way Google Drive would work if you first take a backup of your WhatsApp on an Android. Later, you can restore it to your Android device with the same Google account linked to it. There is no such solution to transfer data from iOS to Android using Google Drive as of now.
One-click Solution to Migrate WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to Android without Backup
Now when you know about techniques that won’t work to perform this cross-platform transfer, let’s start and learn about some working solutions instead. These are the two most popular ways to transfer WhatsApp from iOS to Android directly without maintaining a backup in between.
Solution 1: Move WhatsApp Chats from iPhone to Android using dr.fone – Restore Social App
A part of the dr.fone toolkit, Restore Social App provides a one-click direct device-to-device WhatsApp transfer solution. Since it supports a cross-platform transfer of data, you can directly move your WhatsApp chats and attachments from iPhone to Android (or vice versa). Not just that – the application can also take a dedicated backup of your WhatsApp data and later restore it to the same or another device.
During the transfer process, the quality of the data would remain intact. Also, dr.fone – Restore Social App is 100% safe and won’t access your files. It provides a one-stop solution to backup and restore data of other social apps as well like Kik, Viber, Line, and WeChat. To learn how to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android, simply follow these steps:
1.Firstly, launch the dr.fone toolkit on your system and from its home, visit the “Restore Social App” section.
2. Go to the “WhatsApp” section on the left sidebar and select the “Transfer WhatsApp Messages” option from the right.
3. Using working cables, connect your iPhone and Android device to the system and wait for the application to detect it.
4. Ideally, your iPhone should be marked as the source while Android would be the destination device. If not, then you can change their positions with the Flip button.
5. Once you are ready, just click on the “Transfer” button to directly move WhatsApp data from iPhone to Android.
6. Since the process will delete the existing WhatsApp data on the target Android, you will get the following warning. Agree to it and commence the WhatsApp data transfer process.
7. Sit back and wait for a while as the application would migrate WhatsApp from iPhone to Android. Make sure that both the devices would stay connected during the process.
In the end, you will be notified when the data transfer process is completed. Simply remove the Android device safely from the system.
That’s it! Now you can just launch WhatsApp on your target Android phone. The application will automatically detect the newly transferred backup and would let you restore it to your phone.
- Easy, secure, and extremely fast
- Direct device-to-device cross-platform transfer
- Can also backup and restore your data
- Supports other social apps too
- Only free trial version is available
Just like dr.fone, Tenorshare also provides a similar solution to backup, restore, and transfer WhatsApp data. The application can directly transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android or vice versa. This includes WhatsApp conversations as well as the exchanged media content. Furthermore, it can be used to take a backup of WhatsApp data and even restore it afterward. Here’s how to transfer WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android using iCareFone by Tenorshare.
1.To start with, launch the iCareFone application on your computer and go to the “WhatsApp Transfer” section from the top menu. Also, connect your iPhone and Android to the system using working cables.
2. The application will automatically detect both the devices and would mark them as source and target. You can use the flip button if their positions are not correct.
3. Now, click on the “Transfer” button to move WhatsApp from iPhone to Android. A pop-up will appear to remind you that you need to log-in to WhatsApp on your iPhone to start the process.
4. Also, this would delete the existing WhatsApp data on the target Android device. A warning message would appear stating the same that you can confirm by clicking on the “Yes” button.
5. That’s it! Now you need to just sit back and wait for a while as your WhatsApp chats and attachments would be transferred from iPhone to Android.
6. When the process is successfully completed, the application will notify you. In the end, simply remove both the devices and launch WhatsApp on Android. It will detect the transferred backup and will let you restore your data from it.
- Easy to use
- Direct transfer of data
- iPhone to Android (and vice versa) transfer
- No other social app (like Kik or Line) is supported
- Only free trial version with limited features
2 Free Ways to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to Android
With the above-listed solutions, you can easily learn how to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android in a single click. Though, if you are looking for a free solution, then you can try either of these alternatives. While they might not meet your requirements entirely, they are still worth giving a try.
Solution 1: How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to Android via Email for Free
One of the best things about WhatsApp is that it lets us email particular conversations. Thus, if there are only a handful of conversations that you wish to save, then you can consider emailing them yourself. While this will not restore your WhatsApp conversations, the solution would keep your chats safe for sure.
1. Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and select the conversation you wish to save.
2. You can swipe the conversation and go to its “More” options. From here, you can tap on the “Email Conversation” button. Alternatively, you can visit the conversation’s options and get the same feature there as well.
3. You will be asked if you wish to attach media content or not. Since most of the email servers have a limit of 20 MB, it is recommended not to attach media content.
4. This will launch the default mailing app on your device with a text file of all the WhatsApp chats attached. Just enter your own email id and send the chats. Later, you can access the same email account on your Android to access these chats.
While you would be able to access the conversation on your Android via email, they would not be available on your WhatsApp.
Solution 2: How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to Android via iTunes and WazzapMigrator for Free
As you can see, there is no direct solution to simply transfer WhatsApp backup from iPhone to Android and later restore it. Therefore, we need to take the assistance of a WhatsApp backup extractor. For instance, WazzapMigrator is a popular WhatsApp backup extractor that is available for free. You can run it on your Android, extract WhatsApp chats from a previous backup, and later use it to restore your chats. Sounds complicated? Simply follow these steps to learn how to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android for free using iTunes and WazzapMigrator.
1. Firstly, you need to take the backup of your WhatsApp data on iTunes. To do this, launch iTunes on your system and connect your iPhone to it.
2. Select your iPhone and go to the “Summary” tab. From here, you can take a backup of your device on the local computer.
3. Now, install any iPhone backup browser (like iBackup Viewer) on your system and try to read the recently taken iTunes backup file.
4. Go to the WhatsApp or the Media folder and look for the “ChatStorage.sqlite” file. Connect your Android device to the system and copy this file to the device storage.
5. Great! You are almost there. Now, you need to install WazzapMigrator on your Android device. You can get it for free from Play Store.
6. Launch the application, tap on the “Select iPhone Archive” button, and browse the iPhone backup file that you have previously saved on your phone.
7. Wait for a while as the app would extract the backup and make it compatible with Android. In the end, just save the backup file on the WhatsApp folder of your device.
Once the backup is saved on the WhatsApp folder, you can easily restore it. As you would launch WhatsApp, it will automatically detect the existing backup on your device, letting you restore it. If you are already using the app, then you need to reinstall it to get this option as it is only available while setting up a WhatsApp account.
There you go! Now when you know not one, but four different solutions to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android, you can easily make the switch. While moving from one device to another, you don’t have to lose your important WhatsApp chats or attachments. As you can see, from all the provided options, dr.fone – Restore Social App is certainly the best solution to move WhatsApp from iPhone to Android directly. Having tons of other features, it will let you manage other social apps as well like a pro.